Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sock Monster

I got a good 16 mile run in today.  The weather cooperated -- overcast and cool with a slight breeze.  Perfect.  The sun started breaking out right at the end which was not only good timing, but a psychological perk, too.  I love sunny days -- just not when I'm running in them!

There is a Balega sock monster in my apartment.  Balega socks are my current sock of choice.  For a couple of years I had only one pair.  I realized I gravitated towards wearing this pair for longer runs.  A few months ago I bought two more pairs.  More recently I turned my mom on to these socks, too.  She wanted 7 pairs so she could wear them every day when she goes walking/running.  Wow, 7 pairs of Balegas!  What a luxury to have your favorite sock every day of the week!  I found them very, very cheap at Sports Basement here in San Francisco.  I'm talking almost 50% cheaper than usual cheap.  I bought her a stash of them and figured, why not?  I deserve a few more pairs to round out my week.  So I did just that.  I bought more to have seven pairs of Balegas, too.  Too bad, Thorlo and Smartwool socks (previous socks of choice)!  Move over, here come the Balegas.

Well, last week I did laundry and when I was done I had 6.5 pairs of Balegas.  I was short a sock!  I searched high and low but no sock.  I was so disgruntled I had to go back and pick up another pair to bring my count back up to seven.  Well, this week I did laundry and at the end had 6 pairs of Balegas (I am technically back up to 6.5 since I still have that half a pair floating about).  What the heck?!  I know I wore seven pairs of Balegas this week, I washed them all and ended up with six.  I was very careful this time around after last week's incident to make sure nothing fell out of my basket or got left in the machine when I was done.  There are only so many places in this apartment that a dirty pair of socks could be and trust me, I've looked at them all.

I guess I'm just not meant to be a person who has their favorite sock for every day of the week.  My mom is going to get her additional six pairs today after I pick my parents up from the airport.  We'll see how long she can keep her count up to seven.  

Maybe Balegas are so magical you're just not meant to have seven.

Seriously, though....What the heck happened to 3 of my socks?!

8 comments:

Deb Cushman said...

Someday they will magically turn up and you will have 8 pairs of socks. When you are done scratching your head, 5 of them will disappear with the next laundry load. That's just the way of socks -- they are very independent and don't like to be counted.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Sometimes they sneak away for a bit and you'll find them later cozying up to a wicking shimmel in nice staticky comfort.

IOW, have you checked your missing sock(s) haven't gotten stuck to something else? Happens all the time around here.

RoadBunner said...

I hang dry the majority of my clothes so no dryer static (I have in the past washed socks with sheets and weeks later found one nestled into the elastic edge). I did a good shakedown of all the clothes. I think it's pretty hard for a wet sock to stick to a wet wickie shirt. No socks :(

d. moll, l.ac. said...

No they are gone, gone, gone. If you use a sock for running it will run away, it has been imprinted to run. Buy some more.

Sarah said...

Ooh, I'm trying out some Balegas tomorrow on my run. Can't wait to see how they are!

ShirleyPerly said...

Oh, I hate when I'm missing socks! I've lost a number of new ones somehow and have to keep getting more ...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Believe it or not, I'm originally from the S.F. Bay Area. Hope all that smoke clears up soon.

RG said...

First off .. you got rabbits, right? I rest my case.

Second - you have not read Tom Robbins' "Skinny Legs and All" The answere is there.

Third ... guess I'm sticking to my Thorlos!!! They don't leave home!

Runner Leana said...

Maybe Mario likes Balegas too? I own two pairs of Balegas and I'm starting to think I like them better than the piles of Injinji ones I have. I lost one for a month, but later found out that it had fallen behind my wash hamper and was hidden at the bottom of my closet. Good luck finding those socks!