Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Phew

Since I last posted:
Sun:  8.5 mi total with 4x1200m (8:34, 8:34, 8:29, 8:35 -- goal pace was 8:37...I am so proud I've been able to keep up with these longer intervals) & 6x200m
Mon: 4.5 mi recovery, 9 mi bike on trainer
Tue:  8 mi with 6x100m, 1500 yds swim

Monday runs are officially recovery runs.  After all the speed work on Sundays my legs have been feeing very heavy during these runs.  I sort of feel like, "Oh it's just 4 miles," but then they turn out to be rather mentally challenging since my body feels so sluggish.  During today's 8-miler my legs were screaming "Uncle!"  I enjoyed myself, but my calf was feeling tight and both my shins were tweaking.  I'm going to stretch and ice tonight and tomorrow is an official rest day.  But I've been feeling very good this week during the runs.  Last week was a rather sad week what with all the on-the-run melting in Hawaii, shuffled runs, and skipped runs.

I have to say that I am not sure I'm cut out to be a triathlete.  On Sunday, I forgot to go swimming.  That's right.  It totally slipped my mind!  I don't know how people do it, but I find it hard enough to concentrate on one sport.  I guess if I didn't have so many running goals it would be easier.  Right now I feel like I'm not really cross-training with biking and swimming.  It's more like I've mushed it into the schedule around the running.  

I'm up to 1500 yds in the pool with minimal rests between laps.  I don't think I'll add much more distance in the training for my sprint tri (400 yd swim).  If the swim was in a pool I think I could do this triathlon tomorrow.  The open water factor really freaks me out, though, so I want to get a lot more confident in the water.

Dinnertime!

1 comment:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Sounds like you've been busy! I don't so much as forget to swim as "forget" to swim. I hate swimming and will invent excuses to avoid it. I know swimming is good for me, but I hate cold water unless it's for drinking. :-(