Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Muir Woods


Yesterday, Boyfriend and I went to Muir Woods for the first time.  We purchased an annual pass which was a great deal.  Normally it would cost $5/adult but we paid $20 which will get both us and whoever else fits in a car with us, into the park for a whole year!  We decided to take it easy this visit and did a casual stroll (not even strenuous enough to be called a "hike") through a 2 mile loop called the Hillside Trail.  

I have high hopes that we'll come back in running gear and do some nice trail runs.  I've been wanting to get into trail running more and these non-technical dirt trails are just the type of terrain I'd like to start on.  There are also more challenging trails which would definitely be great for some hikes in the future.  Lots of trails to explore!

The crowds were pretty thin since this was the day after Memorial Day.  I can see how the boardwalk-style walkways by the visitor center could become very crowded during the weekends.


How can you see a trail like this and not want to run?

We even spied this little guy nibbling up lunch with his mom!

After Muir Woods we drove down to Stinson Beach.  Talk about a windy road!  I am also in awe of a few cyclists who were either going up, up, up this road or down some very quick and twisty descents!  Makes me feel like a super chicken for being afraid on neighborhood streets and mile long inclines!

All in all it was a very nice day.  I went for a 5 mile run in the morning, had a relaxing 2 mile woodland stroll, then topped it off with 6 miles on the trainer.  I could definitely tell that my legs were tired from the last two days of running.  They felt a little heavy during my run and my shin pain started to act up afterwards.  Today was a rest day and tomorrow I'm planning on running 3 miles very easy as my last run before the half marathon this Saturday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your half marathon this Saturday! Are you running in the Disney one in August? I'll be running it as well...probably all the way in the back...lol!

RoadBunner said...

Thanks! I am planning on doing the Disneyland Half this August, too! I am a huge fan of Disney races. You'll find it's a great beginner's race. Take your camera to get pictures with all of the characters.