Saturday, May 3, 2008

First post!

So after reading blogs for years and years, I've finally decided to join the bandwagon and close the loop on what has been a one-way conversation. First, I'd like to introduce you to Mario, the Cutest Bunny in the World! He mainly likes to sleep and eat so doesn't really think much of my running ways, but he's still my furry soul-mate. I adopted him from an animal shelter a little over 4 years ago and the time is going by much too quickly.

I started running in 2001, mainly because I was never a runner. I was usually last or second to last in any P.E. running activities. I thought, wouldn't it be cool to be able to run non-stop for more than 1 minute?! I found an online plan (of which I really wish I still had a copy) that was tailored to get you running 20 consecutive minutes. I remember I started on the week which was "Run 90 seconds, walk 90 seconds, repeat 7 times." I thought I was going to literally drop dead trying to run those 90 seconds but I kept with it, and months later I built up to 20 minutes. I kept adding another minute, and another minute and before I knew it I wanted to run a 5K. The 5K gave me the goal of doing a 10K, then a half-marathon, and eventually a marathon. Somewhere along this journey I felt comfortable calling myself a "RUNNER."

Two months ago I completed my sixth marathon and I'm still setting new goals. My long-term goal is to complete a marathon on every continent (I'm up to three). Shorter-term goals include completing an ultra-marathon, completing a triathlon, and breaking 2 hours in the half marathon. I'm a middle-back-to-back-of-the-pack runner who is loving every minute of this lifestyle I never thought I'd want or be able to join.

1 comment:

Runner Leana said...

Yay, you started a blog! Can't wait to read more!