Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Over the River and Through the Woods

Thank you to everyone who has emailed, tweeted, commented and texted about Mario.  We really appreciate all of your concern and good thoughts.

Today has been a bit of a roller coaster of a day.  I called the vet's this morning and spoke to the vet tech.  She told me that they had force fed Mario last night but that this morning he refused to have anything to do with any of that.  He had not pooped or eaten on his own.  He peed once and his temperature was still good.  Basically, she said he was the same and that the vet would give me a call once she evaluated him.

The vet called shortly after and said that his stomach was still very engorged.  Also, she had gotten his lab results back and Mario was in renal failure.  She said she thought it was acute vs. chronic because he was not anemic which I should take as a good thing.  She said it was not uncommon for bunnies to go into acute renal failure when they are as severely dehydrated as Mario was due to his inability to eat/drink.

Because of his lack of progress on bloat treatment, she suspected that he may possibly have a blockage somewhere.  She said there was no way to know for sure and that surgery at this point would be exploratory.  We could possibly do barium x-rays to try to image a blockage but she felt that with his engorged stomach this wasn't the best course of action, plus it would waste a day's worth of time.  She said if there was a blockage, today was the day to do the surgery or else his digestive tract could go necrotic and then there would be little hope.  Without the surgery, he would surely die.  "If this were my bunny, I'd do the surgery," she said.

The vet said she wanted to consult with another veterinarian in the practice who had handled a similar case and had done some research on the matter.  She said she would be in touch in a few hours and we could go from there.

The idea of poor Mario going through surgery with no guarantee that it would address the problem was too much for me.  I was a wreck and I called Boyfriend.  We decided if the second vet agreed, then we would pursue the surgery.  I asked Boyfriend to come home from work so he could come in with me to visit with Mario before he went under.  There was no way I'd be able to handle that on my own.

I had some time to kill and a run on the schedule so headed out to do that.  I had to fight back tears through my warm-up and almost gave up on the tempo portion.  I felt like my heart-rate was elevated from the anxiety and it was throwing everything off.  The tempo effort eventually helped to get my mind off things a little and I ended up with a pretty good run.  I arrived home and promptly burst into tears.

The veterinarian gave me a call and said she had good news.  Mario had started to feel better and had nibbled on some hay. She also felt that his stomach was dramatically reduced in size from her examination of him this morning.  She didn't feel that surgery was the way to go anymore.  I was so relieved.  She wanted to start him on an IV in order to try to get his kidneys back to normal.  She felt that as long as he continued to improve, she would redo his blood work in a day or two and if his kidneys were better he would be ready to come home.

Mario with his fancy new earring :(
We went in to visit with him.  He looked pretty out of it, and I'm hoping that was from the meds he was on.  He tooth purred a little as I rubbed his cheeks.  When the vet tech brought him into the room I saw he had three nice poops stuck to his butt :) I was SO happy!  I had brought some of his hay and pellets from home and he even ate a pellet I gave to him.  He perked up for a minute or so while he ate the pellet and actually lifted himself to standing for a while.  But right after that he went back into his foggy state.  The staff wasn't even aware that he was pooping yet and they seemed excited when I told them.  So he's making progress.  Eating a little, pooping a little, and getting rehydrated.

The vet said he is no way out of the woods yet, but she is much more encouraged than she was when she spoke to me this morning.  I'm really hoping he continues in this direction and can come home soon. I probably won't get to see him again until either Thursday evening if he comes home or Friday.  The staff seems to be really enjoying him so I hope they are giving him lots of love.

21 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Hang in there, Mario - this is no way to scare your humans for Halloween!

You're in our thoughts, binkyboy!

Alyssa said...

Great news! Keep it up, Mario!!

Anonymous said...

My friend and I have been holding a little web-based Mario vigil. Glad to hear there is some progress. We are rooting for the little guy.

Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run said...

Awww, poor little guy. I'm glad he's doing better. Hopefully he can come home soon!

audgepodge said...

Go Mario Go!!! I'm so happy to hear that things are going better - yay for the poop!!! :D

Wish I could have been there for you for a shoulder to cry on today, hate seeing my buddies go through this :(

Keep the updates coming!

RG said...

Just gotta keep hopeing.

Go Mario, Go ....

d. moll, l.ac. said...

ok still keeping that candle burning for sweet Mario, eat poop, eat, drink, have a good blood test

Rachel said...

glad to hear things are improving. hang in there, Mario! sending positive vibes.

Trace B said...

Wow, so glad to hear Mario is getting better! The post just kept getting better the further I read. Please keep us posted and stay strong! XO

Trace B said...

Wow, so glad to hear Mario is getting better! The post just kept getting better the further I read. Please keep us posted and stay strong! XO

Anonymous said...

Hang i there Mario!! You are in m thoughts! My ktty cat Fatboy wish you a speedy recovery!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Oh Mario, glad to hear you're doing better, wishing you a speedy full recovery...

Runner Leana said...

Continue getting better Mario!!! Sending lots of hugs your way RB.

The Fab Furs said...

Keep improving Mario, so you can spend the weekend at home!

Sammie's Mom said...

Feel Better, Fluffer-nutter!! Big hugs, your furry friend, Sammie and his human, Sarah

Michaela said...

So glad to hear that Mario is doing better! Go, Mario, go!

cliff said...

no surgery is always good news! next thing you know, he'll be ripping stinky farts and you'll be all smiles.

Scout and Sage said...

"Dey wanna do WHAT to me?!"

Well, I suppose that's one way to scare the poop outta him. O_:)

Keep getting better Mario. Someone has to keep your two foots in line. Can you imagine what trouble they're getting into without you about to supervise??

Erin said...

Glad to hear he doesn't need surgery. We're all thinking of him here! Keep getting better little man!

Anonymous said...

I hope Mario is continueing to get better! Update if you can!

Alisa said...

So scary glad though that I read the more recent post to know that he is HOME!