Friday, July 9, 2010

Marathoner in Training

You know you've been running too many marathons when you have a pile of these by your running shoes.

Sunday: 7 miles @ 9:56 pace; Went down to Crissy Field to try to run some of the shorter, steep hills in the San Francisco Marathon course (I'm signed up to do the first half this year). This turned into a sort of progression run with the first mile clocking in at 10:35 and the last at 9:16. I finished feeling really strong and could have gone a few miles more.

Tuesday: 7 miles, including 3x 1600m pick-ups @ 8:21, 8:23, 8:19 pace; I was a little nervous about this run because I haven't done an interval workout since November 2009. I felt pretty good during the pick-ups and there wasn't as much death and doom going on as I had anticipated. I looked at my 2009 running log and the last time I did this work-out (October 2009) my paces for the 1 mile pick-ups were 8:37, 8:39, 8:42 That is an average 18 second per mile decrease! Not bad at all.

Wednesday: 7 miles @ 10:19 pace; Felt pretty good at the end of the run this morning. I usually take about 4 miles to get into the groove.

Friday: 20 miles @ 10:29 pace; Finally, a long run that left me feeling satisfied. I felt much stronger at the end of this run than the 18 or 16 miler the last two weeks. It takes (me) a long time to run 20 miles but the run didn't drag on as much as I thought it might. Success! I feel like I'm in marathon training again :)

6 comments:

Marlene said...

Certainly looks like marathon training to me. Strong paces all around.

rUntoNamAste said...

Great runs. You are so hardcore!

dawn @ running the dawn said...

Awesome! I love it when the training starts to pick up momentum and I feel like I'm running strong and feeling strong.

I have serious nervousness whenever I do a speed and/or tempo workout. I don't know why. At first I figured it was just cause I'd never done it before and wasn't sure how I'd do. But now, I should be used to it...but every time I look at the assigned workout on my schedule I get the same butterfly feeling in my stomach.

Thats so awesome that you improved your mile times! That should help you feel better about going for a PR!

Mica said...

Welcome back, marathoner-in-training! You are kicking some serious butt!

Mica said...

Did my last comment just post? If not, I meant it to say "Welcome back, marathoner-in-training! You are kicking some serious butt!"

Anonymous said...

nice work girl! you had some great runs this past week!