Friday, July 24, 2009

Week 12, Don't Be A Hero!



Sunday: 6 miles @ 10:14 pace; Went down to Crissy Field again to run the hills leading up to the Golden Gate Bridge and the bridge itself. I've decided the inclines of the bridge (going both up and down) are awesome. Not too steep. I am looking forward to the bridge even if it is windy. There was a band of fog hovering around the bridge today (see above picture). It was also pretty breezy and the fog was moving so quickly on the bridge. Beautiful. After descending I did two more repeats up the short but steep hill leading up from Crissy Field. It is tough but I feel more mentally prepared for the segment. My body felt fresh and for the first time in this taper I actually felt like my body was recovering.

Tuesday: 3 miles @ 10:08 pace ; I have been looking forward to this cute little 3 miler for 12 weeks. It was so short and sweet I wanted to pinch its cheeks.

Thursday: 6 miles, including 4 miles @ 9:27 pace (goal 9:32); I have been running all of my tempo runs faster than the prescribed pace put forth by my trusty Runner's World training plan. My tempo speed is going to have to quicken the next two months to meet my goal for my half marathon in October. So with that in mind I have been pushing myself a little harder during speed workouts. But this week is about the marathon. I reminded myself to take it easy and I really attempted to hit a 9:32 on the head. I kept repeating to myself, "Don't be a hero... Don't be a hero..."

Friday: 3 miles @ 10:45 pace; My mantra for today's run, "Don't twist an ankle... Don't twist an ankle..." Tried to take this run exceedingly easy. Lately I haven't quite felt myself until mile 4 or 5 of a ten mile run so I never really felt like I got into a groove today.

Since a few people were interested: Mario has been weighed twice at veterinarian visits. He is just a smidge over 5 lbs. Truth be told, he's more fluff than stuff.

Does this angle flatter my figure?

I am headed off to the San Francisco Marathon expo soon! I *heart* race expos!! Will get a post up tomorrow about my race goals.

8 comments:

Runner Leana said...

Looks like a great week! Good luck this weekend!!

Unknown said...

How exciting! So glad you're enjoying the moments up to the race!
I smiled very BIG when you said, "...wanted to pinch its' cheeks!" Very nicely put!
GOOD LUCK!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I love expos too! Get good stuff!

Mario is only 5 lb, huh? I'm sure he thinks he's much bigger.

DKM said...

Squee bunny butt!

RG said...

Well Mario - I am sorry to say you look a lot like our Savannah in that pose ... a bit of a "ooze-out" sort of!

Mica said...

Nice week of running! Good luck with SFM!

EndorphinBuzz said...

I'm not sure that's the most flattering pose for Mario ;)

Marlene said...

Congrats on finishing up week 12! Have fun at the expo.