Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Week 11, Tired (& Apparently Worried)

Sunday: 11 miles @ 10:26 pace; This was the last double-digit run before the marathon! CELEBRATE!! Finished this run off with 2.5 miles of sub-10:00 pace. Once again I ran the Golden Gate Park miles of the course.

Tuesday: 7 miles, including 5 miles @ 9:22 pace (goal 9:38); Was holding about a 9:30 pace the first few miles of the pick-up. Am very happy to report that while not easy, the 9:30 did not feel hard.

Wednesday: 6 miles @ 10:29; Legs felt like dead weights. Bleh.

Friday: 8 miles @ 10:28 pace; did this run in 1:23:45, ha! Felt better than my Wednesday run of the same pace but still not as fresh I would expect after a week of reduced mileage.

My body is definitely tired this week. I've been sleeping 9-10 hours a night on consecutive nights. But it hasn't all been restful sleeping. For the first time ever I have had dreams about a marathon. One night I dreamt that I came down with the chicken pox a couple of days before the race. I was in total denial and was trying to tell people it was an allergic reaction and of course, I could still run!

The NEXT night I had a two-fer... First I woke up the morning of the marathon and it was 85 degrees! Then I looked at the clock and it was 11:30 am (effectively I overslept and missed the race). In my dream I eventually realized it was Saturday morning and not Sunday so I hadn't missed the race (interestingly I wasn't concerned that if it was indeed a Saturday I had overslept and missed WORK).

So, that takes care of sickness, weather, and oversleeping. Now all I need is a dream about twisting my ankle on my 3 mile run next Friday and I'm all set! HEARTY SARCASM. NONE OF THESE THINGS WILL HAPPEN. NONE. OF. THEM.

I don't have any pictures from my runs this week. So I will leave you with this picture of the ice I made for my Homer shin soaks:

Can anyone tell me how this happened?

12 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

IME, anything I'm worried will happen won't, especially if I worry about it LOTS!

Very weird about the ice.

Unknown said...

Tapering is such a weird time! Even your ice is doing strange things! Read a good book, play with your bunny and marathon day will be here before you know it! Keep sleeping well!

Marci said...

You have trained hard, you will do great! All you are dreaming is taper speak!

Aron said...

I always have the craziest dreams before marathons... ALWAYS!! you are going to do great, you have trained so hard and I cant wait to see you cross that full finish line!!

Mica said...

Ugh, I cannot wait to be plagued by marathon dreams. (More sarcasm) Maybe it's fate's way of getting all these nasty things out of the way so that they don't happen for real!

cody@codywestheimer.com said...

ah the vicious taper. you'll do great! :)

EndorphinBuzz said...

You'll do great, don't worry about the chicken pox or other disease, you are healthy!

About the ice, I remember seeing a show on the discovery channel that explained it but can't remember the actual explanation. Not very helpful, I know.

Marlene said...

Ahhhh, taper. Hope you get some more restful sleep!

You are in great shape for this marathon.

rUntoNamAste said...

Ha! Tapering definitely eff's with your head. And apparantly with your ice too!

I'd give anything to sleep 9-10 hrs a day. How I envy you ;p Hang in there, your day to haul ass and dominate 'Frisco is fast approaching.

ShirleyPerly said...

Sounds like your body is tired but your mind is doing overtime at night!

And something funny is going on in your freezer ...

cody@codywestheimer.com said...

Good luck!!!! And yes, if you know anyone who wants to give me a new Garmin, have them call my agent. LOL

RG said...

Hey .. your fridge is tipped! You need to jack up one side!

Good luck in the final training! It's all about fresh legs now! And sleep!