Saturday, June 27, 2009

Week 8, Running Happy


Sunday: 10 miles @ 10:21 pace; I decided to try to run the Golden Gate Park miles of the SF Marathon course today. I generally do 90% of my runs in the park but don't usually do the exact route/direction that the marathon utilizes. I tried to be more aware of the hills and what they might feel like at that point in the race. I am a little numb to the rolling hills of the park since I run them all the time, but I have to say this part of the course is definitely hilly. I believe the only extended flat section is the bit around Stow Lake. Nothing incredibly steep, but a lot of gradual ups and downs. The 10 miles flew by so quickly and I actually ran out of miles to complete the total part of the course within the park. But I was able to do the bits I don't normally run. I felt really strong during this run. Great start to a high mileage week!

Tuesday: 10 miles including 8 miles @ 9:27 pace (goal 10:00); What a freakin' wonderful run! A far cry from the way I felt during my tempo run last week. I will admit at this point that the paces I am striving for now are in preparation for the R'n'R San Jose Half in October. I feel like the pure mileage will get me through SFM at this point and that mystical X-factor of racing will determine if I have a good day or a bad day. I don't think I am down to holding a 9:00 pace for extended distances (my goal for San Jose), but this run gets me feeling I am heading in the right direction.

Wednesday: 8 miles @ 10:28 pace; I was a little afraid I would really be dragging after Tuesday's hard effort. I'm happy to report that 10:28 felt like a recovery pace this morning. And only eight miles?! When eight miles feels short I know I'm in the marathon training zone.

Friday: 20 miles @ 10:50 pace; I was tired at the end, I hurt at the end, but I have to say that 20 miles didn't feel so long. I guess there is something to be said for these multiple 20-miler training plans. That's two down, one more to go! This run was done faster than my current goal marathon pace. In other words, way too fast. I am tinkering with the idea of rethinking my goal pace for the race.

The photo is from my Sunday run this week. I decided to give my Nathan belt another go, this time wearing it backwards. MUCH better. I don't have to twist and contort to get the bottles to drink or the fuel out of the pouch. Non-runners won't know the difference, but if you see someone out there running wearing their belt backwards, I know it is backwards. I am doing it on purpose. Also pictured is my new orange running skirt from Runningskirts.com. Love me my running skirts.

I will admit that I am getting a little nervous at this point. There comes a point in training when the distances start to feel easy and my pace starts to quicken and feel strong. It is around this point that I usually get injured. Knock on wood. Super duper double knock on wood. My foot and shin are so far holding up. They complain a bit, but I give them ample ice, compression, advil, and THREE days off a week. They have never had THREE days off! I think these negotiations are keeping them from going on strike.

11 comments:

Mica said...

Great runs this week! Your running is so strong right now, hooray! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you don't get injured.

X-Country2 said...

Great run! I love when your watch pays you back for all the hard work. That skirt is pretty adorable too.

Alisa said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the new orange skirt. Must buy it unless i get it for my bday.

Great job on all those runs. You are really getting speedy! 8 miles after a long tempo, wow, I am so inspired. All this talk of hills in SF really makes me think I need to hit the "holy hills" around my place hard the next 5 weeks.

Great running week chica!!!!

RG said...

That was a good report .. we've all got our "don't get hurt" fingers crossed!

I suspect to be able to do a 9 min pace for a half you will have to run a lot of miles at 8 1/2 or so .. but not before this next race for gosh sakes!

EndorphinBuzz said...

Impressive mileage. Don't be nervous, you are ready and look fast in that beautiful skirt.

Marlene said...

Great job on ALL runs! Your paces are definitely strong lately. And to feel good on your twenty-miler... you must be doing something right!

Glad you were able to come up with a compromise for the fuel belt. Maybe I should try that because I have the same one and sometimes it drives me CRAZY!

Denise said...

I just got my first running skirt and I love it.

Don't think about getting injured...You should like you're running has been going well and that you're strong.

Southbaygirl said...

OMG!!! That is the orange skirt I want to get-because I'm a Tennessee Volunteer and need to support my orange team!!! I was going to get it for SF...yikes-will you be wearing yours?? That would be funny!!

rUntoNamAste said...

I absolutely LOVE your running skirt and will be visiting that website soon.

You weren't kidding, that was a high mileage week indeed. The fact that your body is holding up so well means that you're definitely getting stronger. Way to go! The running gods are smiling on you and will combat the evil that is injury. Run happy!

Anonymous said...

i considered wearing my Nathan backwards but more to hide my belly pooch! :-)

Runner Leana said...

Wow, nice job on your runs!! Fingers crossed that you stay healthy towards your races. No doubt those three days off a week will help a lot!!