I've been tagged by Leana and Marci!
Here are six random facts about me:
- I hold my pencil incorrectly. Instead of resting it on my middle finger, I rest it on my ring finger. I don't think I realized I was doing it wrong until I was 10 or 11.
- I had braces. Twice! Actually, first my orthodontist straightened my baby teeth with retainers when I was 4 thinking maybe it would cause my permanent teeth to come in straight.
He was wrong.
I then had braces from ages 10-12, I think. It was great because most of my friends got theirs on in the 7th grade, and there I was free and clear. But I'm a tongue-thruster (push my tongue against my teeth when I swallow) so my bite opened up. My orthodontist offered to put the braces back on again for free. I was 16!! So horror of horrors I got braces back on again when I was 16! and everyone else had gotten theirs taken off! To make matters worse, they put this little cage in my mouth behind my front upper teeth to train my tongue where to go. This caused me to have a terrible lisp. When I was 16. In high school. And I had to give speeches in English class.
My teeth have gotten a teeny bit crooked since I didn't wear retainers for a while when I got to college. I last saw my orthodontist when I was 24 because a maid in Vegas threw out my retainer. He offered again to put them on again for free. But he was in Hawaii and I was in NYC. The basic moral of the story is that I have jacked up teeth. And a very generous orthodontist.
- In high school I was voted, "Most Likely To Succeed."
- I have transported across the country, in a car, two fish and a rabbit. The Mario story you know already. My family lived in Maryland for two years because my dad was in the Air Force. My last Christmas in Maryland when I was 7, my parents got me fish (a long, sordid story). When my parents found out my dad could take a position in Hawaii they thought my sister and I would be thrilled. When they told us, we both started crying. I cried because I didn't want to leave Jake and Pearl (my two goldfish) behind. So we put them in a plastic pitcher and they came across country with us to California. Then we got them a Tupperware container and I hand carried them on the airplane to Hawaii. We did declare them with agriculture. Pearl lived about a year. Jake survived 6 more years in Hawaii.
- I am allergic to three different classes of antibiotics.
- A random Mario fact: Mario's butt twitches when you give him bananas. However, the most ecstatic response I ever got out of him was from dried apple rings. I gave him a piece, and he could hardly contain himself. He jumped right up onto the couch, into my lap, for more.
And I'll tag another three:
2. L.A. Daze
3. Furry Butts