So did you watch the Opening Ceremony last night? All I can say is, "Wow." I was blown away by the sheer scale of the thing. Some things of note:
1. Did you see the part where the printing blocks were going up and down in patterns? And then at the end all those people popped their heads out?! I was dumbfounded at the idea that there were people in there controlling those things! I thought for sure it was a computer and hydraulics. How do you even start to teach people to do that?! Even now I am not convinced that individual people were controlling those things!
2. The hosts were right. Those tai chi circles were FREAKIN' AMAZING. High school marching bands eat your heart out.
3. I loved how they cut to President Bush and the First Lady when the athletes from Iraq entered the stadium. They looked like they had previously discussed just how they were going to clap for them. Bush had a rather smug look on his face that he should have done without. Oh, and our President...You'd think he'd know to sit without his knees spread open like that.
4. I loved the President of France when he was waving at the French athletes. He looked so genuinely proud and happy to see them. Very sweet.
5. I think it is so cool how a lot of the athletes carry their digital cameras as they walked out and were taking videos and pictures of themselves. I think it shows how they are just normal people experiencing something extraordinary.
6. I loved the bagpipe music and "Scotland the Brave" which got played over and over.
7. How did those cheerleaders keep clapping and dancing for so long? Granted, there were definitely moments when certain individuals looked like they were ready to pack it up and go home early.
8. I'd hate to be London in 2012 because they have a tough act to follow.
In other great 08/08/08 news, I got a package from runningskirts.com. I love the new pastel pink they're using on their new colors. Chocopink!
I have to admit when I first heard of running in skirts years ago I thought the idea was ridiculous. But now I am a convert and L.O.V.E these things. They are so comfy and cute to boot. Once my runningskirts.com order is complete I will have almost as many skirts as fingers. I have only one non-runningskirts.com skirt coming, but it was super cheap and a super color so disregard my straying. You know, I've got that little problem. I'll probably never try another skirt brand otherwise.
The past 24 hours I have been an icing, Stick rolling, stretching fool. I woke up today with some pain still in my leg when I walked but as the day has gone on it's feeling a little better. I rode my bike 10 miles today (part of the regular schedule). I am not going to run tomorrow. Let me repeat, I am not going to run tomorrow. It's my new mantra. I keep saying it to myself. Hopefully it'll stick.
When I was in Orlando this January for the Goofy Challenge I bought a Mickey Head ice cube tray. These guys are my new best friends when I do ice massages.
Seeing as how this little set-back is the perfect opportunity to bike and swim more, I have some bad news. My pool is closed for a week. I could branch out and try to find another pool to use, but again, see previously mentioned "loyalty" issue. So, we'll see how the week plays out. And again, I am not going to go running tomorrow.