Thursday, October 27, 2011

There's No Place Like Home

Look who is back!

After three nights in the hospital and plenty of tears on my end, I was finally able to pick up Mario this evening from the vet's!  His blood work came back normal.  Yay, kidneys!  He's been eating a bit on his own and pooping up a storm (they are a little messier than usual which will require some maintentance on my end).

The vet tech spent a lot of time showing me how to do all of this:


Which involves all of this:

Yes, I need to hook my bunny up via needle to that bag once a day for a week.

I thought he might be a bit lethargic and sad, but he is quite perky.  I put him in his pen and the first thing he did was run over to his food bowl and pick out a treat to eat.  Then for a few minutes he scampered all around his pen picking at pellets, eating hay, and exploring everything.  He is settling down a bit now and has even done some good bunny flops.  The main thing that seems a bit off is that he might have lost some muscle tone -- he is sliding around a bit more than usual.  

Thank you, everyone, again for all of your support through this.  Mario is a lucky bunny to have so many people in his corner.

I think I can manage that.

14 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

hooray, so glad he is home, and sounds like he is too, we know he will be getting the very best supportive nursing <3

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Yay, Mario! The Cadbun and I have been worried and we're glad to hear somebun is finally home. Here's hoping he's a good patient for all his at-home care.

Rachel said...

so glad to hear! welcome home, mario!

Anonymous said...

So glad Mario is home!!!! Yay!!!!

Crafty Green Poet said...

welcome home Mario!

The Fab Furs said...

Yay, he's home and Master of his domain again! Home TLC should work out well!

Erin said...

Yay!! So glad he's home! We had to do the IV with Chloe daily for a few months. It's not fun, but it's worth it to make them feel better:)

Alisa said...

Yay mario is back! Poor little guy.

Yikes on the IV, I'm not really good at dealing with medical stuff like that, I don't like to see it on others or myself and I'm not sure if I could put an IV in Zoey if I had to. Lots of luck and healing vibes sent to you and Mario.

Lisa said...

Such a relief to hear he's ok! Honestly, I think IV fluids is probably better than trying to syringe feed him water and getting it spit back all over you. You can squirt fluids and meds in a bunny's mouth, but you can't make him swallow. Plus, it works better. Wish someone would teach me!

RG said...

You can do this. We've been there and it takes a bit of practice but it was well worth it. It was something to see your "bring home stash" ... been there, done that!

Mario is a lucky bunny!

cliff said...

great news! =D

good luck w/ that iv. be happy it's only for a week. i had a hard enuf time squirting meds under my cat's tongue.

Mel said...

so glad he is home! Hope he is back to 100% soon!

Courtney (Pancakes and Postcards) said...

yay for mario being home!! sending him lots of love and support...

Runner Leana said...

Yay!!! Welcome back home Mario!! Keep getting better little bunny!