Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What's Next?

High on post-marathon euphoria I took a look at my race schedule.  No goal races until October!  No marathon until January 2010?!

Not acceptable.

So I signed up to run the San Francisco Marathon on July 26th.  Julianne is leading the 4:45 pace group.  Given the slightly hilly terrain 4:45 is a good goal for me.  I'll be honest and say that SFM never much interested me.  I regularly run the first 19 miles of the course and there is no scenic value in the latter miles.  In fact, a great deal of the course is run in Golden Gate Park.  I love me my Golden Gate Park but run there all the time.  Like, five days a week all the time.  Not exactly race-day inspiration.

However, the timing of SFM is just right.  I am planning to train hard to try to set a PR at CIM in December.  Running SFM will keep me running regularly in the ensuing months.  Also, travel costs are minimal since I live in the city.  Any other marathon would involve a long drive/plane ride and hotel costs.  Julianne leading the 4:45 was the clincher for me.  It's a goal which means I can't just putter along, but hopefully not so fast that I ruin myself for CIM.

I have already found a marathon training plan to use.  I decided to use a Runner's World Smart Coach plan.  It is a new type of schedule for me.  Lots of middle-distance runs.  I usually use a plan which has at least one palsy 4 miler at some point in the week.  None with this plan.  Lots of slow middle distances (e.g. 9 & 10 milers).  Hopefully this doesn't get too boring.  There is one tempo run a week to push the pace a bit.

SFM is only 12 weeks away so I am officially marathon training again.

I had a lot of fun going for a run today with Audrey.  She's doing Goofy & probably CIM, too, so we talked a lot of training strategy.  She also got to meet Mario.  He was a little groggy since we interrupted his mid-day slumber, but his bummy antics won her over.  Audrey, if you like lazy animals, Mario is your man!

Please congratulate my friend, ShoeRunning, who rocked her first marathon this weekend!

14 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I hear you on not being able to work up a lot of enthusiasm for paying good money to run the old familiar routes. It's why I don't race much any more close to home, and my vacation tends not to coincide with races in the areas I go to.

audgepodge said...

THANKS! I had so much fun, too! It's fun for me to pretend to be a city girl - heehee. And yes, I love lazy animals like Mario (probably because I am envious of their lifestyle) and I can't get over how soft his fur is! Much softer than kitties :)

Mica said...

Yay, I bet Julianne will be a great pacer!

Woohoo, two marathons!

ShirleyPerly said...

Yep, that's why I'm not that intrigued with running Disney. It's in my backyard and the route outside the parks looks pretty much like like my usual routes. But occasionally doing so with a large group is different and certainly has training value. Good luck with your Smart Coach training!

Marlene said...

Another one already! Great idea to stick with Julianne's 4:45 pace group. Sounds like you have a solid plan!

Alisa said...

You are going to do great in SF!!!!!!

I'd love to meet Mario sometime, especially after hearing how soft his fur is.

Aron said...

YAY you will have a great time at SFM!! since you live there its one you should run just because :)

YAY for CIM also!!! you have some great races on the calendar!

Runner Leana said...

Congrats on signing up for the next one!! Gotta keep that motivation going somehow, right? I know you asked me about running SFM, but I don't know if I ever got back to you. Sadly it is right in the middle between the Great White North Half Iron and Lake Stevens half iron. Not sure I want to run a marathon in between them since I'll really be focusing on getting ready for Lake Stevens.

Have fun though!

Shoe Running said...

You've got some great goals - you're gonna be busy! :) Glad to hear that you and Audrey got a chance to run together!

Thanks for the congrats :)

RG said...

Well, that 4:45 goal and pace, plus the crowds and adrenaline, will make it seem fresher I bet.

Beats paying $100 to a personal trainer to dog you into staying shape!!!

Southbaygirl said...

I'll be running the SF half as will RBR and Jo Lynn!!! Sweet! SF is turning into a bloggers race!

Anonymous said...

No one can possibly resist Mario's charms!

Congratulations to shoerunnign on her first marathon! I don't know when I'll be able to do that.. I'm currently working my way up to participate in a 1/4 marathon hehe

X-Country2 said...

I love the post-marathon euphoria! You just start clicking around the internet. :o)

Good luck at your next race. I'd love to meet Julianne some day.

RBR said...

Your pace group will be too fast for me at SF, but I would love to meet up! We should have a blogger lunch afterwards!

Mario deserves to be lazy. He has such a stressful life. ;o)