Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Rapturous Rainy Run

The weather has been undeniably gorgeous here in the Bay Area the last week.  However, I'm a warm-weather weenie and the sunny 60 degree temps were starting to suck the life out of my running.  I know.   I'm pathetic.  So it was actually with a bit of gleeful joy I woke up to overcast, drizzly skies this morning.

By the time I left to meet ShoeRunning the drizzle had turned into a mildly steady downpour.  I even had to return to my apartment to put a slightly warmer top on.  I ran with SR for only about 3 miles of my run, but it was the perfect distraction to make the planned 10 miles feel much shorter.  The rain subsided towards the middle of my run but the cooler temps were energizing and I felt good.  It didn't feel as easy as a 10 miler should this stage of marathon training (a.k.a. peak mileage week) but it is definitely an improvement over weeks past.  I'll take it.

I'm debating whether or not I want to go for a 2-3 miler on Thursday morning.  Chances are I'll take the day off and gear up for my 20 mile run this Friday.  I just looked at a calendar and realized I'm doing a two week taper for this marathon.  I usually do 3 week tapers.  I guess that's what happens when you go through a whole marathon training cycle without a schedule!  I think this will actually work to my advantage this go-around, though.

Maritza, I did spend some quality time with Homer after the run.  I am going to try to ice dunk after long runs and even mid-length runs.  I may even finally do strength exercises for the shin, too (like air alphabets).  I have plans for higher volume and dedicated speed work later this year and need to get this shin under control.  

I apologize for being such a poor blog reader.  I have SO many posts to catch up to in my reader.  I am whittling away a little every day and hope to be caught up soon!

10 comments:

Aron said...

i was so happy for the rain today too :) its been too warm for me!

great job on your 10 miler! my legs saw homer tonight too after my 10 :)

d. moll, l.ac. said...

The rain has been rapturous!!!!!!!!

Mica said...

I am also a warm weather weenie! I'm really scared about summer marathon training.

I want to come see your lovely Bay area weather. If I can ever convince the boyfriend (He prefers SoCal.), maybe we'll go there this summer!

audgepodge said...

Haha... I tend to operate without a schedule as well. And I think I might benefit from a shorter taper as well ... especially because I know I tend to slack off during that time and not keep up well with the shorter runs.

Good luck on your 20 this weekend!

Marathon Maritza said...

Great job on your run!! I have enjoyed the rain too, and it's gonna keep things green here for longer! Yay! Totally worth it!

I need to get on the Homer train.

Anonymous said...

after doing my 11 miles on Monday I was so happy to see some rain and cooler temps this week :) Nice job on getting your 10 miler done and rest up for your 20! You'll do great :)

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

You can have my 50 degree run this morning! I really hate running in anything below 65. I guess it's because summmer lasts about 9 months here and I learned to run long in a marathon training program that began in June. It's not a good run if I'm not dripping a trail!

Alisa said...

Great job getting the 10 DONE!

You're going to rock 20 on Friday. I've got 18 this weekend. Just think of all the other runners out there training with you =).

LOVE HOMER =). I need a Homer cousin.

RG said...

Do they have a wider Homer? I suspect anything over about size 9 won't fit in there!

"Aw crap, I accidently deleted my reader contents .... " heee heee ...

ShirleyPerly said...

Ha, I'm surprised you don't like warm weather having lived in Hawaii. Then again, I grew up in the S.F. Bay Area and always thought it was too cold there so perhaps it's whatever we grew up with that we don't like when we're adults.

Nice job on the 10-miler. And unless you are shooting for a PR, I think a 2 week taper is plenty. Good luck with the ice dunkings!