Monday, January 7, 2013

Monday Mario

Of course everyone is wondering, so what about Mario?

Mario wasn't at our wedding mainly because he is just not a traveling, stranger-loving type of rabbit.  There was also a no-pet clause in our venue contract.  But I definitely wanted to include him in our big day since he is such an important part of my life.

One tip I got when I first started wedding planning was to make a list of things that were important to you and and your partner and things that weren't and spend the money on areas you both cared most about.  Low on both of our lists was the cake.  I mean seriously, the thing is made of sugar and flour and generally tastes sort of meh, anyway.

A few years ago, Boyfriend brought home a Princess cake for dessert.  I can't remember if it was our anniversary or Valentine's day or just-because.  We both took a bite of it, looked at each other, and said at the same time that this was going to be our wedding cake.

And we stuck true to our unplanned decision.

The cake is expensive for a cake its size, but is pretty insignificant cost-wise when you compare it to traditional wedding cakes.  And it is so, so yummy!

I found a lot of stuff on Etsy for our wedding and I came across a woman who made custom cake toppers.  She even included your furry loved one.  The boat ended up being meaningful, too, since we did a couple's relay together way back in the day before we even knew we would fall in love (I ran two miles, Boyfriend cycled 12 miles, and we both rather comically rowed a boat for 3/4 mile together).


The cake topper cost 530% more than our cake.  Boyfriend even said he could make one himself, yadda yadda.  But I wanted it to be perfect because it was the way I was including Mario.

Out of all of the details on our wedding day, this was the one I was most excited about.





I also tucked a tuft of Mario's fur into my bouquet so he would be with me when I walked down the aisle.

13 comments:

Jade said...

The adorable and the memorable are always well worth the expense--and it will be a great keepsake for the occasion.

One Crazy Penguin said...

Freaking adorable. That's an awesome cake topper and I love that he was included in the bouquet!

Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run said...

Erhmahgerd! I'm in love. That is the sweetest. And yes, I just had to send the pic of your cake topper to my hubs to show him.

Very cute way to include Mario.

And I totally get it because Bunnypants is not a traveler either. I'm even switching a vacation plan of mine so she can stay at home and not have to go to the in-laws for the week.

The things we do for our fur babies.

Runner Leana said...

That is such an adorable cake topper! Love it!!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

How sweet! You did a great job making Mario part of your day!

naomi said...

I didn't know you had a piece of Mario in your bouquet! <3! <3! <3!

RG said...

Awwwwwww .............

Crafty Green Poet said...

oh how lovely to be able to include Mario in your special day like that!

Erin said...

That is so great! I love it!

Alisa said...

I thought that cake topper had to be custom when I saw the photo before. Awesome! You have to include the little guy.

Beautiful bouquet!

Angela Knotts said...

Awwwwwww, so sweet!! Congratulations to you again!!

Michaela said...

Absolutely love this! So cute! And congratulations too!

Lisa said...

I love how you included Mario!! I may have to "borrow" one or both ideas. Jon keeps saying the bunnies should be there. But my thinking is, Daisy jumps if she hears the bedroom door open, and if you flush the toilet she runs for her life. She definitely can't handle having all those people around, and a band. Your creative ideas for including Mario without putting him through the stress of actually being there are perfect.