Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Reap What You Sow

Okay, I've been a bad blogger and bad blog reader. I even missed a "Monday Mario!" The disapproval over here from the bun is oppressive. Of course, I'm blogging from work so have no access to Mario photos to make up for this transgression.

I did an 18 mile long run ths past Friday. I felt fairly decent for most of it, but it got me very worried. The last couple of miles my legs felt like lead weights. I could barely will myself to walk afterwards. I seriously felt like I had just run a PR-attempt marathon. So far as I can remember, 18 mile runs are not supposed to feel like that. And it wasn't one of those bad-day long runs. I felt good and my body did a good job for its conditioning level.

My main problem this marathon go-around is an utter lack of discipline and planning. My weekly mileage is way down from where it would usually be. I've been lucky enough to hold onto 7 miles runs on Tuesdays with ShoeRunning, but usually I'd do a 10 or 10+ miler mid-week as well. I've been puttering around with 4 mile runs in addition to that 7 miler.

This marathon is really, really going to H.U.R.T.

So the next few weeks I'm going to ramp up the mileage as much as I can safely accomplish. I had a nice run with ShoeRunning yesterday (she ran 20! and I pushed out to 8). I'm hoping to build that up to a 10 mile mid-week run the next few weeks. I've decided to not push my luck and will just be doing one 20 miler in preparation for Big Sur. I originally had 3 on tap but life gets in the way sometimes. So I've got a couple more weeks before I go for the big 2-0.

I have no time goals for Big Sur but I do not want to resort to a death march the last 6 miles, either. Hopefully I have enough time left in training to at least be able to finish enjoying the race.

11 comments:

Mica said...

Yay, a post! I've missed you, Miz Roadbunner!

Sorry that your 18-miler didn't go as well as planned. Hopefully, your 20-mile run will be much nicer. Good luck with the rest of your training!

Aron said...

you have a few more weeks you can get that mileage in... just listen to your body like you know :)

at least you will have some amazing scenery and being in the race atmosphere always helps!

good luck with the rest of training!!! you can do it :)

audgepodge said...

And this is why I always poop out during the marathon... I don't think I've ever logged more than 6mi for a mid-week run. Congrats on doing 18 - that's an achievement in itself!

I'm not sure if I already told you this, but I just realized that because of Goofy, we just HAVE to do the Disneyland Half in 2010 as well so that we can collect ALL the medals! :P

d. moll, l.ac. said...

I suppose if I attempted to run 18 miles it would ALL be a death march. Best of Luck, you can do it :~)

RG said...

Some runs are diamonds, some runs are stones!

Big Sur ... heck, a 26 mile stroll there would be pretty!

Nancy said...

Thanks!! Good luck with the training!

Unknown said...

wow - I dont think I could run 1 mile (lol)
my husband has been training for a 1/2 marathon in May so I know it takes a lot of disipline - good luck to you

Anonymous said...

nice job on getting your 18 miler done! 18 miles is no joke, so I think it's ok your legs felt heavy and what not. Increasing your mileage over the next few weeks should help out a lot and get you prepped for Big Sur. It's going to be such a beautiful race..enjoy yourself and the scenery :)

Alisa said...

You have a few weeks, I'm sure you'll be able to crank out the mileage...but as you said, do so safely. The last thing you want/need is an injury!

Shoe Running said...

I think 18 is just a lousy number! I bet your 20 will go fantastically! :)

See you soon!

ShirleyPerly said...

I must admit that some of my really long training runs are not pretty but the race itself goes fine. I think it has to do with lack of tapering and adrenaline. I used to live in the Monterey Bay Area too and am looking forward to hearing about your race!