Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Teary-Eyed, Both He & I
Mario has had a weepy right eye off and on for months now. Last month I took him into the veterinarian who irrigated his tear duct and put him on an antibiotic ointment. One of those two things seemed to help things improve but it never fully resolved. I spoke to the veterinarian today who gave me two options:
1) Do a series of skull x-rays to see if there is an underlying issue causing his tear duct to be clogged (think dental issues, abscesses, tumors). This however, requires Mario to be put under anesthesia which makes me very nervous. We can run some blood tests to minimize the risk of anesthesia. But the vet, quite frankly, told me death is a possibility.
2) We can try the ointment for a longer course of treatment. The vet said it is rare but some bunnies do have more involved infections. I know a little bit about eyeballs and it is not an eyeball infection (the vet also agrees). If he has an infection it is in his tear duct. My gut tells me it is a noninfectious issue (perhaps there is a secondary infection but I feel there is something more sinister causing the clogging) but I am leaning towards retrying the medication since it poses less risk to Mario. However, I am also worried that delaying the x-ray could allow any underlying issue to worsen (she's thinking 14-21 more days of ointment).
Does anyone have experience with older rabbits being put under (Mario is at least 8 years old. Possibly older since I adopted him full grown)? Mario is 100% unfazed by all of this and doesn't even seem to be bothered by the tear overflow. I called a renowned local rabbit vet's office (we are currently getting care from an avian vet with a special interest in rabbits) hoping they could do x-rays without anesthesia but was told they generally put bunnies under as well.